Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nearly finished the first course

Sorry I have been so lax in posting to the blog for the last month but I have been caught up in the final weeks of the Global Health course which is the mandatory, 20-credit foundational course in the International Health Masters' program. I wrote the exam this Monday (November 19th) and today I submitted my literature review with 30 minutes to spare to the online student portal.

Next week we all have to do 15 minute presentations based on our literature reviews and then our opponent, who is one of our classmates, has 5 minutes to critique our work. Of course each of us must be both an opponent and a presenter so really there are two tasks remaining although being the opponent only involves verbal criticism - there's no need for a presentation. This time next week this first course will be finished then we have a weekend of breathing room - during which I may go to Stockholm or just hang around Uppsala, I haven't decided yet.

Tomorrow I am going to try and gate crash a conference - free registration closed on November 7th but I'm just going to turn up and see what happens. It's on antibiotic resistance which is a fascinating topic (really!) if more than a little bit frightening.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I was wondering how you would compare the rigor of the course you're presently taking (the foundational course) and those you've taken in your undergrad. And how are library resources for Public Health there? Also, is your program taught through a learning management system like Moodle or Blackboard? Does social media play a role at all in the curriculum there? Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca for your comment/questions. I'm going to respond to your first question in an email so watch for that in your inbox within a day or two. In terms of library resources I shamefully admit I haven't actually gone physically to the library yet - although I could be excused since ours is open such limited hours (the medical library is only open 8:30-7:00 pm Mon-Thurs and 8:30-5:00 pm on Friday and CLOSED! Saturday and Sunday). As we are not exactly public health I don't know what resources are like for our subject area (global/international health is slightly different). There don't seem to be subject librarians and since the campus is spread all over the city the library oriented to your discipline may be far away (the medical library is about a 15 minute walk away and the biomedical library even further). No Moodle or Blackboard but a rather flakey student portal for distribution of lecture materials and uploading of assignments - it goes up and down a lot and is sometimes inaccessible. Social media does not play a role except as we use it ourselves as students - we have a couple of groups on Facebook where we exchange information pertaining to our subject.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly please!