Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday night in Uppsala

What's this single, Canadian transplant doing on a Saturday night in this student-town with a reputation for non-stop partying? Watching television and working on my blog of course. In all fairness there is an invitation to go for beer with some other recently-arrived students but I haven't made up my mind yet. My landlady has gone away and I've been reveling in the only 'alone' time that there's likely to be for me in the next 24 months. It really is true what they say about living by yourself for so long - it does kind of spoil you for living with others and I hope having roommates, especially in such a small space, isn't going to be too hard to adjust to.

Today I went for a jog and while loping around discovered another supermarket - Nelins - which had quite a good 'foreign' food section (Thai, Indian, Chinese) with some interesting looking items and some that I haven't seen elsewhere (like red, green and yellow paste for Thai curries). No Asian vegetables though - like Thai eggplant, bok choy, gai lan and the like. Something I did see in ICA this afternoon though which I don't know that I've ever seen in a Canadian supermarket was transparent apples which I remember my mother telling me made the best apple pie (and I'm sure that the proof of the pudding was in the eating). I know I've walked and jogged by lots of trees that I thought were transparents - you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on them as fall harvest time approaches.

Unusual sight of the day though has to be what I saw almost hidden by the tall grass in an overgrown backyard at the end of my jog (so unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me). An auto rickshaw! Weird. When I got home from my jog I went out into the patch of forest - not more than about a soccer pitch in size - and picked blueberries. Not a lot and they're not very big but there's certainly enough for pancakes tomorrow morning.

Blueberries and the 'forest' they came from

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're off on quite an adventure, Susan. You have an opportunity to make some amazing friends and have some life-changing experiences. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly please!