Monday, August 20, 2012

Oh happy day!

I stopped by the Coop Capella second hand shop to buy a binder for my first class (which starts in two weeks). While there I spied a desk (or more properly I guess the word that Camilla - the very pleasant employee that assisted me used - secretaire) that I coveted and the price seemed very reasonable (450 kr - less than $75). I went to the counter to pay for my binder (a massive 5 kr or 75 cents) and asked whether they delivered and was told they do for 200 kr (and that's not per item but per delivery). The person behind the counter also said that if I paid in full for something they would be happy to hold it until I could take delivery. Better and better!

The desk that first caught my eye

The middle drawer pulls down to reveal vertical compartments and there is a roll top

I then asked if they ever got sofa beds (or bäddsoffa in Swedish - not that I said that) and they told me yes, down in the basement (which I didn't even know they had). Camilla accompanied me downstairs and showed me a sofa bed that will suit me admirably (though I'm a bit concerned about the size - I don't want it to dominate the room too much). And I also picked out a wall unit (not sure whether to call it a buffet and hutch or what). Total, with delivery and student discount - just under 1,400 kr. I think $210 for these three items is an extremely good deal. 

Since I last posted I have scored a rolling office chair in the 'free for all foyer' in the apartment building and my landlady gave me a low table about 2 foot square that she had also picked up downstairs some time ago but has no space for. So I think I am pretty much set! The couch comes with 4 cushions and those will serve as pillows until I get the chance to buy some proper ones. I might also research how much a new cover would be since I'm not crazy about the blue. 


The sofa bed - it has a proper pull out mattress that is very comfy and much bigger than what I'm used to (I've been sleeping on a single bed for more years than I want to count) - such luxury!

The top of the wall unit - I think the middle shelf has an internal light above it

Bottom of the wall unit

1 comment:

  1. great buys, Susan. Your room is shaping up to be lovely. Good to hear from you and your adventures. Susan A.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly please!